Site designed for Firefox Web Browser. If you don't have Firefox, you should be shamed of yourself!
Thursday, April 20, 2006
I had to move my books to my apartment after postponing it for so long. I hadn't moved my stuff to my apartment because of recurring migraines, but I was forced to after the dorm room started to drip water from the roof. It was a disaster, six cartons of books were affected along with many personal belongings. But when you're a miskeen (poor) student in the Islamic University, you kinda expect things to get a little chaotic. Anyhow, I drove down to the `Anbariyyah round-about, over by the old refurbished Turkish Train Station (perhaps I might provide pics in future posts) and had to look around for people strategically placed behind trees and rocks and big ol' moving trucks, as well as agree on a price with the Bedouin dude that drives the moving truck.

Get this, the Bedouin dude charges 100 Riyals to drive the books from Point A to Point B. Yet the Yemeni dudes that do all the heavy lifting and running up and down the stairs, only get 50 Riyals each. Then the Bedouin dude complains that my Point A is on the second floor and my Point B is on the third floor. So I ask him why he's complaining that they aren't on the first floor. He says, "Cuz I have to wait for you all that time while these guys move your stuff."
I say, "But you aren't even lifting anything, and you get 100 Riyals for driving your truck from one place to the other."
He ignored me, anyhow, that's how you move stuff in Madinah.

Enjoy...
 
posted by Abu Miftah at 12:26 AM | Permalink |



3 Comments:


  • At June 15, 2006 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    you agreed on 100 riyals to do nothing but drive a truck?!

     
  • At June 15, 2006 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    i don't like being referred to as anonymous...

     
  • At June 16, 2006 2:44 AM, Blogger Abu Miftah

    Yea, I know it was a dumb move bro, but I did it...

    Shoot me! I admit it, I paid Mister Bedouin 100 Riyals of m hard earned money to drive a truck, complain about driving a truck, and then sleeping while the guys moved my books, and then leaving while complaining that he had to drive a truck for me and that he was basically doing me a favor by taking my 100 Riyals to drive his raggedy truck...

    Shoot me!